Craigslist Baby Rebrand

Craigslist Rebrand – Final

“When you are up to your neck in alligators, it’s easy to forget
that the goal was to drain the swamp.”


Beginning a project, despite initial resistance, is often when excitement is the highest. It may not be my most “in the flow” stage of the design process but it is definitely when I feel that ideas come the easiest and my energy is positive. And then…I start getting into the “grinding it out” stage. And realize I’m up to my next in alligators.

This project felt difficult because there were so many unfamiliar factors. I was unfamiliar with the baby/parent demographic, app UI design, and prototyping in a realistic way. While it was challenging, taking the opportunity to research, test, and apply my new knowledge was worth it an I’m satisfied with the outcome.

BRANDING
I chose a lowercase serif type for my logo because I wanted it to be soothing, classic, and trustworthy. I wanted parents would be using the app to feel that this was a service they could trust, seeing as Craigslist is virtually a marketplace and forum for strangers to connect. I went with softer blue and grey colors for this same reason and to incorporate Scandinavian design as part of my project direction.

I chose the word “chick” as a neutral term for a little baby, hoping to bring in an element of cuteness to the brand. The hand-sketched baby chick is an additional brand element that can be used in place of the full logo throughout the app.

Because this is an app, I went chose a clean sans-serif type as a complement to the logo serif and as the primary type for the app.


APP UI
I focused on making the app easy and quick to use while providing more detailed search filters if needed. The current Craigslist page for baby and kids’ items features very limited filtering/faceting options which makes it tough to get through the variety of items people are selling.

Although deciding on the final visual direction was difficult for me at times, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed thinking about the user flow and getting granular (as granular as one can get with tight deadlines) about interactions, transitions, and screen flow. There were even a few times I tried to click areas of the prototype that weren’t correctly linked because it was my instinct to do so. Finding those errors and fixing them was probably one of my favorite parts.

This is a newly piqued area of interest that I would like to explore in the future.


Overall, I am proud of where this project go to. I think it *mostly* flows like true app would and that is cool to see.